About the job
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is on a mission to radically change the way health care is delivered around the world. UGHE is a new university based in Rwanda that is building the next generation of global health professionals, doctors, nurses, researchers, and public health and policy experts into leaders and change makers who strive to deliver more equitable, quality health services for all.
Job Title: Assistant Academic Librarian
Department: UGHE Library
Reports to: Academic Library
Location: University of Global Health Equity, Butaro – Rwanda
To assist the Academic Librarian in the day-to-day administration of the UGHE Library and support in the learning, teaching and research needs and activities of the university community. The Assistant Academic Librarian shall have responsibility for running the circulation system and information resources processing functions at the library.
- To deal with library users enquiries and to promote effective use of the library resources with responsibilities in assisting in the preparation of user guides and documentation.
- To maintain the Library Accessions Register.
- To be responsible for the Circulation System.
- To maintain Library order and security.
- To catalogue and classify new library resources.
- To assist in collection development and stock management. To identify and select materials for binding and de-selection.
- To consult with library users about their needs, reporting these needs to the Academic Librarian.
- To keep abreast of the higher education environment while developing professional skills.
- To participate in wider University committees and special interest groups as opportunities arise.
- To carry out any other duties appropriate to the post, as directed by the Academic Librarian.
Qualifications and experience:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Library Studies or its equivalent.
- 2-3 years post graduation experience.
- Experience working in a medical/health sciences academic library environment.
- Ability to plan,prioritise and organise work.
- Ability to take responsibility for delegated tasks.
- Ability to work accurately with attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a multicultural rural environment.
- Ability to work flexibly as part of a team.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation communication skills.
- Ability to teach.
- Ability to catalogue to international standards (RDA Standards).
- Good IT skills (including a basic knowledge of Microsoft Suite and Google Suite).
- Fluent English and Kinyarwanda